— About Our Kai-Cho
Kevin Jones-sensei, the founder of Aikido Shugenkai, has been practicing aikido for 50 years. He traces his aikido lineage through multiple students of the Founder of aikido, Morihei Ueshiba-sensei including Maruyama-sensei, Tohei-sensei, and Sunadomari-sensei.
— About Aikido Shugenkai
Shugenkai is a non-profit community which supports its members in the pursuit of a life-long study and practice in the fundamentals of aikido. We use the analogy of the basic natural elements - earth, water, fire, and air - as a framework to assist us in our continuous studying, learning, and training.
Aikido is a non-violent Japanese budo, or “martial way”. The basic philosophy of aikido is to neutralize conflict through non-aggressive means before it occurs, and so help build a more peaceful world. This is achieved by harmonizing with the energy of your partner, redirecting and controlling it without injury through training mind, body and spirit to create an integrated whole. Aikido training is non-competitive and fosters a cooperative, supportive attitude of positive resolution. The benefits of aikido practice are intended to extend beyond the dojo into all aspects of the practitioner’s daily life.
— The Benefits of Aikido
Aikido practice can provide physical and mental health benefits
Physical benefits of aikido include:
- increased core strength
- increased flexibility
- increased muscle strength and tone
- improved respiration, energy and vitality
Other physical benefits of aikido include:
- increased empathy
- increased ability to find non-zero sum solutions
- improved patience
— Upcoming Events
All in-person events are cancelled in response to the COVID-19 pandemic.
Until forther notice, all in-person events are cancelled. At this time, that includes Summer School 2020 and the Japan Anniversary trip. Stay safe everyone!
— For Your First Class
- Feel free to visit us to watch a class or just get on the mat! We don't charge for the first class.
- Come dressed in loose, comfortable clothing. A t-shirt and yoga or sweat pants works just fine. Shoes will need to be removed before stepping on the mat.
- You will want to remove exposed jewelry. If you cannot remove it, bring some surgical tape to tape over it. You don't want to catch an earring on something as you roll by it!
- Unless otherwise noted at the location, all of the classes on our regular class schedule are on-going. That means there is no need to pre-register.
- Bring a water bottle.
- Come 5-15 minutes early for your classes, so you can take your time to help set up or get in a little unstructured practice.
- Please tell the instructor about any physical limitations, injuries, pregnancy, or medical conditions before the start of class.
- What is class like?